Set your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth.
—Colossians 3:2 AMPC
I know that I know that the Word of God works, and if you will really believe it, you will be completely transformed. It is full of power to bring healing to every area of your life!Joyce Meyer
Principle 10: Take your spiritual medicine—the Word of God—often!
This principle is truly the key to making all the other principles work in your life. Here are just three reasons why…
- The truth truly sets you free!
- God’s Word is THE truth! John 1:1-4 says: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
- These verses reveal the Source of all creation—Jesus. As we get to know Him and develop personal relationship with Him, our eyes are opened to truth.
- Jesus says in John 8:31-32, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free”.
- Abiding in Christ—pursuing an intimate, ongoing connection with Him through prayer and Bible study—exposes lies and misconceptions that have kept us from God’s love, peace, joy and everything else He desire to give us.
- There is soul-saving power in the Word!
- James 1:21 (AMPC) says, …In a humble (gentle, modest) spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted [in your hearts] contains the power to save your souls.
- Note here that a humble heart can receive God’s Word and allow it to take root so it works in the soul.
- And Hebrews 4:12 (AMP) says, For the word of God is living and active and full of power [making it operative, energizing, and effective]. It is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as the division of the soul and spirit [the completeness of a person], and of both joints and marrow [the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and judging the very thoughts and intentions of the heart.
- This one verse is loaded with amazing insight about God’s Word! It contains life and is more powerful than anything else when it comes to revealing the true state of our heart.
- The Word effectively transforms us as we line up our thoughts with God’s thoughts.
- Romans 12:2 (AMP) says, Do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].
- That’s a long verse, but you don’t want to rush through it! Meditate on each point so you really grasp the bottom line here: Renewing your mind with truth enlightens you to know God’s good, acceptable and perfect plan for you!
- Psalm 119:105 says, Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- Again, as you know God’s Word—the truth—and renew your mind with it, you will gain wisdom, understanding and practical knowledge that helps you keep moving forward in your soul-healing journey!
Take time to study each verse mentioned in this study today. Write out the verses on note cards or in a journal, and go over them often. Make notes about what God reveals to you through them, and add other scriptures you find that teach you how the Word can work in your life.
Get Joyce’s free list of 40 Things the Word of God Does for You to go deeper in this area of Bible study.